Inclusion Ireland, in partnership with Down Syndrome Ireland, will be working on the Connect Family Network.
There are many parent and family disability support groups that are doing good work in Ireland - but connecting with others to share concerns, keep informed and have your voice heard can prove challenging.
Parents and advocates often feel isolated, overwhelmed and not listened to.
Over the coming months and years, the Connect Family Network will endeavour to bring about greater participation of persons with a disability and their family members in the design and delivery of disability services and supports.
Research has shown that service and policy development is much more effective when the people who use services are involved from the outset.
The Connect Family Network will not replace any organisation, but will aim to enable a coherent and combined family voice to be heard by service providers and policy makers.
What we do
- The establishment of a network for disability support groups, locally, regionally and nationally.
- Development of social media to connect and support local groups.
- Providing information and training for groups to equip people to lead and advocate.
- Supporting local groups who engage with the HSE and service providers in the planning, design and review of disability policy or programmes.
- Giving local support groups a voice into policy and legislative formation at national level through discussion and consultation.
- Keeping disability support groups informed through the provision of relevant information.
Watch our video
Contact the team